RELOCATING TO THE USA
MOVING TO THE USA? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
If you are transitioning into the next stage of your life, and that includes a move to the USA, then you might find these tips helpful and informative.
In no particular order, here are some tips that will make your relocation to the United States a little easier:
- Apply for a Social Security Number - As soon as you get approved at the border, apply for your SSN! Typically it can take between 2-3 weeks for it to be processed and a number of things depend on your SSN in the US, you will need it.
- Apply for a Work Visa - Apply for a work Visa as soon as you can. Like your SSN, it will take some time in order to process and the sooner you have it, the sooner you can start working.
- Open a Bank Account - Now that you have your US mailing address it would be prudent to open a bank account. This is so you have a place to deposit your US paychecks and an account that you can begin to pay bills from.
- Obtain a US Credit Card - Building credit in the United States can prove to be exceedingly difficult, especially with NO American credit history. What you can do is apply for a prepaid credit card where you would leave a $1000 deposit for a $1000 limit. You can use this to slowly build credit over the first quarter to half a year of living stateside. You will find that most Canadian credit cards will charge you a foreign transaction fee that can be quite taxing.
- Change your Drivers License - Upon arrival, go to a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and change your drivers license over. You will have to pass the written driving test and a behind-the-wheel test. Laws can vary between states so double-check on the requirements.
- Import your Vehicle - You will have up to one year to successfully import your vehicle at a PORT near you should you choose to not complete this when you cross the border.
- Moving Your Stuff - Deciding what to do with all of your belongings can be a tough and long process. If you decide to pack and take everything, you might find that it can be quite costly. Planning ahead in regards to your belongings is important.
- Cell Phone - Relocating to the US will require you to get a new cell phone plan. One option is to purchase a prepaid plan as it can prove difficult to obtain approval for a post-paid plan due to lack of American credit history. After a few months of building good credit you should be able to obtain a post-paid cell phone plan.
- Health Insurance - Be sure to have enough travel insurance to hold you over until you get settled. Make sure you purchase health insurance right away if it is not provided for you at your place of employment. Look into bundling it with other forms of insurance should you require others. If your place of employment provides insurance for you, make sure you ask ALOT of questions to stay informed on exactly what you are covered for.
905-271-5151 or email@example.com